Have a Question for The Substitute Chef?



Email at thesubstitutechef@gmail.com thesubstitutechef@gmail.com

Sunday, September 26, 2010

More Gluten-Free Information

So, I've now added wheat to my allergy list. Over the next few weeks I'll be trying new products, and experimenting with recipes. Tonight the experiment will be making a homemade gluten-free pasta. Yes, I've had the store-bought variety (and will recommend a brand in a bit), but one thing the stores do not have are lasagna noodles or ravioli. I LOVE Italian food, and also love to make homemade pasta with my handy, dandy pasta maker. Another great thing about making pasta is that the whole family joins in to help since it's such a tedious process, thus making it more pleasurable.

I'm geared up with my pasta maker, eggs, and Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF Flour. I don't think it's possible to make a pasta that's egg free, since eggs are the binding element, but if someone would like to know the answer to that question, shoot me an email.

Product recommendations:
I can say that Udi's makes awesome bagels. This week I've purchase their bread, so we'll see how that tastes.

My pasta recommendation is Tinkyada. They make different varieties of pasta (spaghetti, fettucini, etc.), and they've all tasted good. It is an interesting food - made with three ingredients - brown rice, brown rice bran, and water - hence it is THE perfect food for people with multiple allergies!

Oh, and one odd thing that I've noticed about these products - they fill me up quicker than if it had been wheat. Seriously, I used to eat a whole-wheat english muffin in the morning. Now, I can only eat half of an Udi's bagel and I'm stuffed!

Hopefully this information will help. I'll post more about other products, and information on how my pasta making went.

Happy eating!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons