Have a Question for The Substitute Chef?



Email at thesubstitutechef@gmail.com thesubstitutechef@gmail.com

Friday, February 25, 2011

Healthy Take on Pizza

Everyone that knows me, knows that I'm a pizza freak. I absolutely LOVE pizza - any pizza. So, when I found out that I was allergic to wheat, it kind of put a real crimp to my pizza loving ways. However, being The Substitute Chef, I wasn't going to let a little gluten stand between me and my beloved pizza. There are several pizza crusts in both premade, freezer form, and in flour (add water) type on the market.
Bob's Redmill makes a good mix, and I would recommend it.

So, I've already told you about my love for pizza, right? Well, I found a new pizza love when we were on a cruise a few years ago. It was a mushroom, garlic, goat cheese delight that both me and my daughter fell deeply in love with. We ate that pizza every single day when we were on the cruise. And were quite saddened when we came home, and couldn't have our new pizza passion.

I vowed to find a way to recreate that pizza! So, below you have my version of the pizza. I've added some greens, which gives it a healthy twist and a great taste!  Also, this is gluten-free (using a GF crust), egg-free, corn-free, vegetarian, and a great way to eat your greens and get the health benefits as well.


Garlic, Goat cheese, and Kale Pizza

Ingredients
1 pizza dough, rolled and ready (either premade or homemade)
½  package prewashed kale or chard (if not available – one bunch, washed, and finely chopped)
2 tablespoons of cream
Pinch of nutmeg
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1  5- ounce package of goat cheese, crumbled
 Pizza Stone


Preparation
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pizza stone in oven to preheat.

Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil and washed and chopped kale (or chard). Add in batches.  When wilted (about 10 minutes), add cream, nutmeg, and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Set aside.

Roll pizza dough on floured surface. Place pizza dough onto stone and cook for 10 minutes. Remove dough and add cooked kale, then garlic, then crumbled goat cheese.

Carefully replace pizza onto stone and bake until cheese is slightly browned, and pizza dough has browned slightly as well.

Serve immediately.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons